As luck would have it, Day 3 of our itinerary had us cruising the SPECTACULAR Endicott Arm Fjord for our 10 Year Anniversary on June 21st. A unique "port" day, the ship never actually docked, but spent the day slowly cruising down the 30-mile fjord to Dawes Glacier and back out again to the
Inside Passage. We decided to make this amazing experience even more special by taking a small boat (it pulled right up alongside the cruise ship!) on a 3-4 hour long excursion that afforded us an up-close view of the glacier and the waterfalls lining the fjord. After returning to the cruise ship we continued to take in the magnificent scenery of the fjord from our balcony (with cocktails in hand), and topped the day off with a fantastic anniversary dinner at Nouveau, the specialty steakhouse on board. All in all, it was an amazing day spent in joy and gratitude... for the beauty of this corner of planet Earth, for the means that allowed us to explore it, and for 10 wonderful years of marriage to my best friend. I can't wait to see where the next 10 years takes us!
 |
| View of our cruise ship as we sailed away on our excursion boat |
 |
| We started to see more and more chunks of ice floating around as we neared the glacier... |
 |
| Seals sunning themselves on a little iceberg |
 |
| Approaching Dawes Glacier at the end of the fjord |
 |
| I was unprepared for the size and majesty of this glacier! As the boat got closer and closer, I found myself experiencing an emotion unlike any I had ever experienced before... I felt equally like laughing AND crying! I ended up doing neither, but remained in a suspended state of awe for the rest of the tour! |
 |
| Yes, it was COLD!! Just a bit different from the 100+ degree temps of our wedding day 10 years ago! |
 |
| I was probably pinching myself as I took this picture. What a sight to behold! |
 |
| The boat got as close as it could while still maintaining a safe distance from the calving |
 |
| Waterfall next to the glacier |
 |
| Shot of the glacier as we back away and prepared to return to the ship |
 |
| Shot of the Carnival Legend (from our excursion boat) making her way down the fjord to the glacier |
 |
| Back on our balcony, we grabbed a drink and a snack and spent a little more time gazing at the glacier |
 |
| We got to watch the glacier slowly disappear as our ship began its journey back up Endicott Arm Fjord. What an experience!! |
 |
| All dressed up and ready for our Anniversary dinner! |
 |
| So hard to decide which pic I like best... |
 |
| I think this one! :) (Despite Shaun's oddly bunched-up sleeve!) |
 |
| View from our table at dinner. I LOVED watching the scenery of the fjord go by during our two hours of dining! |
 |
| Our anniversary wine choice |
 |
Me, thinking about how I just may be the luckiest lady in all the universe. :) What an amazing day!!!
|
No comments:
Post a Comment